MARITIME MATTERS-FEB. 2017
PSEG Sewaren Project
- The AKRF engineering firm has updated their initial plan for the barge delivery of various over-sized components which will become a part of the PSEG Power LLC Sewaren Unit 7 Combined Cycle Project.
- The mooring systems for unloading the barges has been largely re-defined so as to be in more in accordance with comments made at their last meeting with HOPs Stg Ctee
- It is now expected that the small pieces may begin delivery in April, and the large piece may be delivered in late June, or early July.
- It was advised that the large piece will be transported on a barge measuring 100X300f, and will have an air-draft of 132 ft.
- There will not be any night work performed, and the barges will be lit to USCG standard.
- The barge operator will be Mamoet.
- The 6 smaller barges will not pose any problem to navigating the channel.
- The large barge will require a 6-8 hr maneuvering/unloading window, during which time no-wake provisions will be requested.
- The Bayonne Bridge upper level roadway was opened to vehicular traffic on Presidents’ Day.
- This will allow the start of lower roadway de-construction to begin
- The Newtown Creek Citizen Advisory Committee (CAG) Steering Cttee (of which MAPONY/NJ is a member), met to evaluate progress and set the next meeting for the full CAG.
- The Stg Cttee reviewed various issues relating to EPA reports, upland issues, aeration and health studies, ‘no fishing’ signage, dredging options, and the findings of several tech reports evaluating water quality.
- The CAG by-laws will be reviewed with the aim of allowing a faster voting procedure.
- EPA will be present at the next Full CAG meeting to discuss their various studies to date.
- It is hoped that NYC EDC will be able to present their Secondary Channels Study at the next Full CAG meeting.
- Date/location for the next Full CAG meeting will be advised shortly
- The National Transportation Safety Board has released their study regarding mixed waterway usage.
- This is a key consideration in the Port of NY/NJ.
- The full report will be reviewed at the next HOPs meeting.
Brooklyn Maritime Summit
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams will convene a Brooklyn Waterfront Summit on Feb 22, 2017.
- MAPONY/NJ is an invited party
- We will report any issues/updates shortly
- We are in the final stages of updating our NEW MAPONY/NJ website, and expect to go LIVE shortly.
- We will announce our “Opening Day”, and hope that everyone will visit us!